Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Watchmen : Movie Review

"You guys don't understand. I am not stuck in here with you, you guys are stuck in here with me." -Rorschach

Starring:
Jackie Earle Haley - Rorschach
Patrick Wilson - Nite Owl II
Billy Crudup - Dr Manhattan

Malin Akerman - Silk Spectre II

Matthew Goode - Ozymandias

Jeffrey Dean Morgan - The Comedian


Directed by: Zack Snyder



Make sure you don't watch this with your kids just because it's a "superhero" flick. There is an explicit sex scene in the middle part of the movie aside from the intense violence and frontal nudity (Dr Manhattan) throughout the film.

The story line and flashbacks are confusing. Almost like each character is telling their own story so I don't know which one to follow. The first fight scenes at the start where the Comedian gets killed is portrayed very well. Then the film gets slow, boring and complicated until the end. The graphic scenes are excellent but not new.

A bright spot I think is
Rorschach's character who could be quite a ferocious, scary man especially when he was provoked in prison. He is borderline psycho yet he certainly has a solid view on what's good and bad. Rorschach was sure the Comedian's death is a sign that all superheroes' lives (including his own) will grow short. But then, all his good intentions and his body disappeared in air, leaving splatter of blood in the last part of the movie.


On a lighter note, I like Silk Spectre II's costume! It was a relief to
see a brave and sexy heroine from time to time in a violent movie.

I haven't read the book so I'm not sure if the graphic novel was way better than the movie. Maybe this is also the reason I don't understand how people could give a two thumbs up for this film.

Well, maybe, just maybe - I'll read the Watchmen novel so this could make more sense to me.

Two out of Five stars for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice of you to drop by. I'd love to read your comments.