Sunday, February 15, 2009

Touching God


During a speaking activity in one of my training class, a quiet, bashful lady stood up and answered the question,
"If you could take away something from someone, what would it be?"

The first two minutes of her reply was plain and sometimes humorous as she talked about her best friend. The last minute of her answer was a bit different. She suddenly turned emotional and her face red. There was a moment of silence inside the room. She chastely shared the ailing condition of her best friend's mother. I remember it vividly when she cried,
"I want to take away her mom's illness. I want to help my friend but I don't have enough money. All I can do is pray for her mother."

I waited for the right time within the day and when I had it, I came closer to her and whispered,
"You're doing your friend and her mother a really, really big favor." She gave me a confused look so I continued, "Prayer is the most powerful and most precious gift you can give someone. You don't have to say that all you can do is pray. Instead, you can tell her that you will continue to pray for her mother's recovery. That is a very big help, more than you can imagine." I embraced her tightly and she cried even more.

This is the exact message of the author Dr Harold J. Sala in his book,
"Touching God: Guidelines for Personal Prayer".


Praying for someone is being selfless. It means you are enthusiastic to prioritize the needs of others than your personal interests. This book talks about the awesome power of prayer which is often neglected and under-utilized. It reveals about how the conversation should just flow out of our heart. The daily reflections deepen our spiritual roots as it increase our faith. Some of the chapters are Praying without an agenda, Praying as a couple, If God doesn't answer your prayer, What's on your prayer list?, When you pray, Forgive and so on.

Gilbert and I started reading it last week, just before we sleep. Every page is indeed very inspiring and life-changing.

May you also be blessed and touch God's heart through prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice of you to drop by. I'd love to read your comments.