Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving Awakening


It's almost Thanksgiving. Although it is not much anticipated in the Philippines, I understand it's a time to express gratitude to God for a common purpose - usually for one's material and spiritual wealth. Most Americans prepare for this holiday with festive food and ambiance. There's obviously more to this holiday than feasting. Reflecting on what I have to be thankful for, I came to realize...

My career is not my only life. - Here's the math. I spend nearly 12 hours a day at work, 6-7 hours of sleep and only 4-5 hours for my husband/family/friends and spiritual moment. The smallest portion of my time is spent with the most important people in my life. This has been the case since 2005, after I got my promotion as a trainer. Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY thankful for my career but clearly, I can't keep it like this. Not now, not anymore.

The Lord's timing is always right and I don't need to be anxious. - There's a time for everything - cooking an elaborate meal, pressing on the car's brake pedal, hitting a shuttlecock or simply cracking a good joke. I am delighted with the Lord's flawless timing and I shall be eternally thankful for His presence in my life. Casting all my fears upon the Lord, I proclaim that He will provide what is best for me and Gilbert, in His time. Why should I worry when lilies of the field and the birds of the sky are cared for? How much more will our Heavenly Father take care of us? We have confidence in the Lord and we believe that He will grant us our little angel with His perfect love, in His perfect time.

The people I love can also hurt me. - I cherish friends and relationships. But I can't hide the fact that I'm stricken and wounded when people don't love me the way I love them. A close confidant is acting quite weird lately and a relative is showing insensibility and meanness. They're not the usual selfless, considerate, thoughtful people. It hurts me that they're indifferent but I try HARD to see the goodness in their hearts. Maybe, just maybe - they're passing through some personal struggles and I should not allow negativity to steal my peace and joy.

This Thanksgiving, I'll further examine my priorities, ask God's help in discerning what decisions to make and most certainly use these realizations to be a better me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice of you to drop by. I'd love to read your comments.