Friday, November 21, 2008

Nokia still wins my heart


I had a Nokia 6310i since 2002 and it did not disappoint me at all. It was one of the most impressive cellular phones at that time, brimming with technology that a business minded individual would need. I have abundant good memories with AiAi. (I name almost all of my things)

1. It has the ability to record sounds/voices with a maximum of two minutes. My ex-boyfriend, Gilbert (now my hubby) left me a secret message way back in 2003 and I still listen to it when I feel like listening to his voice.

2. The IR and Bluetooth capabilities also come in handy. Bonding time is "Snake" time with my brothers!

3. Its unbeatable battery life gives me much delight, knowing that it won't let me down today and the days after. It can go for a week (or more) without charging. In fact, I got in touch with my family when I was in India, Singapore, Malaysia and United States and never had a problem with connection.

4. It fits fairly in my pocket and easy to hold. I can bring it anywhere I go. When I need to buy some groceries, I only bring two things with me - cash and AiAi. I use the calculator feature and it keeps me within my budget.

5. It tirelessly wakes me up with its alarm every morning, reminds me what to do within the day and notifies me about special occasions with its reminder feature.


Regrettably, it is out of date for today's hot new phones. As you may already know, just about everybody in the Philippines has a cell phone. Even the unemployed, housewives, street vendors and young kids have one.

My close friends and family are teasing me about it for the longest time. They are all decided that I should upgrade. My dad and brothers enjoy spending evening dinners boasting that they're willing to buy it from me at Php500. No way! I bought it for Php16,000 in 2002. I defend myself and proclaim how useful it is for me. I tease them back saying they're just jealous of my iPhone (6310i). It may not have a built-in camera and the ring tone is monophonic but it still serves its purpose - I can make a call.

I tried sending a text message one day to a friend when the inevitable happened. AiAi froze. I stood still and I realized that "Oh, some good things never really last." I switched it off and turned it on again after a couple of minutes. It worked well after restarting it but I knew it was a sign.

The following weeks (or should I say months) were spent scouting for my next dear phone. It should still be Nokia. Definitely Nokia. I need a more reliable and smart phone, similar to AiAi or even better. Until I saw a perfect replacement for my veteran 6310i.

A shiny, gorgeous Nokia E71 caught my eye. It looks practical for someone with small, nimble fingers like mine.

After some thinking and persuasion from my family and close friends (again), I bought one a few days ago and I'm totally in-love with this miniature masterpiece.

Hello to Qwerty world! It was weird sending a text message on my first few attempts but I truly fancy the elegant, sleek design. With 3.2 megapixel camera, integrated wi-fi and GPS, 3G, memory card slot, large screen, adobe reader, polyphonic ring tones and quad band, what more can I ask for? It's like a pocket-sized laptop. I can check mails, surf the net, and download music anytime.

I'm so excited. I can't wait to make more precious memories with my new phone, Eva!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice of you to drop by. I'd love to read your comments.